Christchurch Girls' High School has had three sites since its opening in 1877.
Worcester Street 1877-1881
Christchurch Girls' High School's first home was as part of Canterbury College (a constituent college of the University of New Zealand) in what is now the Arts' Centre.
Cranmer Square 1881 - 1986
The school quickly outgrew its original site and seeking its own identity moved into a new purpose built school where it stayed for over 100 years.
Matai Street East 1986 - present
While still a tight site, the school's current park like setting is enhanced by the proximity of Mona Vale gardens, of Hagley Park and by the Avon River which flows through the grounds. Award-winning landscaping accentuates the natural beauty of the setting.
The 2010 and 2011 earthquakes had significant impact on the school. The auditorium and music suite were demolished as a result and a new Arts faculty building has replaced it. The school is currently part way through a substantial rebuild programme.